Christine E. Schmidt, Ph.D.
The B.F. Goodrich Endowed Professor in Materials Engineering
Department of Biomedical Engineering
BME 4.202I, MC C0800 (see map)
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas 78712
(512) 471-1690 (phone)
(512) 471-0616 (phone)
- BS Chemical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin (1988)
- PhD Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois (1995)
(with D. A. Lauffenburger)
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, MIT (1994-1996)
(with R. Langer)
- Professor, Biomedical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, Fall 2007-present
- Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering, Fall 2002 - Fall 2007
- Graduate Adviser, Biomedical Engineering Dept, Fall 2001 - Summer 2004
- Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering Department, Fall 2001 - Summer 2002
- Assistant Professor, Chemical Engineering Department, Fall 1996 - Fall 2001
Awards & Honors
- Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), 2010.
- American Competiveness and Innovation (ACI) Fellow from the National Science Foundation , 2010-2012.
- Protégé, The 7th Annual Conference of The Academy of Medicine, Engineering & Science of Texas (TAMEST), attendance based on nomination by National Academy (NAE) Member, San Antonio, TX, January 2010.
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, 2009.
- Chairmen's Distinguished Life Sciences Award, Sponsored by the Christopher Columbus Fellowship Foundation and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Washington DC, June 9, 2008.
- Protégé, The 5th Annual Conference of The Academy of Medicine, Engineering & Science of Texas (TAMEST), attendance based on nomination by National Academy (NAE) Member, Houston, TX, January 10-11, 2008.
- Whitaker Foundation Academic Leadership Program, Selected Participant, Leesburg, VA, February 27-April 2, 2003.
- El Paso Energy Foundation Faculty Award, 2002.
- College of Engineering Award for Outstanding Engineering Teaching by an Assistant Professor, 2000.
- James W. Vick Texas Excellence Award for Academic Advising, 1999.
- Whitaker Young Investigator Award, 1998.
- Departmental Teaching Award, 1998.
- Haliburton/Brown and Root Young Faculty Award, 1998.
- NSF CAREER Award, 1997.
Professional Activities (Selected)
- Editorial Board, Nanomedicine, Spring 2011-present.
- Editorial Board, Acta Biomaterialia, Spring 2010-present.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, Spring 2007-present.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, Spring 2006-present.
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Nanomedicine, Spring 2006-present.
- Editorial Board, Polymers, Spring 2009-present.
- Editorial Advisory Board, Encyclopedia of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, Marcel Dekker. Fall 2002-present.
- Programming Chair, Area 8b (Biomaterials), American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), Fall 01-Fall 03.
- Panels and Site Review Teams: NSF MRI, NSF ERC, NSF CAREER, NASA, NIH (SSS-M01, SSS-M02 SSS-M03, MDCN, MOSS G 01).
- Advisory Workshop for National Research Council on "Challenges for the Chemical Sciences in the 21st Century: Health & Medicine", Beckman Center of the National Academies, Irvine, CA, Fall 2002.
- Chaired and organized over 40 sessions/symposia at national conferences, including: AIChE, BMES (Biomedical Engineering Society), MRS (Materials Research Society), ACS (American Chemical Soc.), Surfaces in Biomaterials.
- Federal Demonstration Partnership, Faculty Representative for The University of Texas at Austin, 2007-present.
- Invited Participant, American Chemical Society (ACS) Biochemical Technology Division (BIOT) Strategic Planning Meeting, Washington DC, June 6-8, 2008.
Conference Chair, Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Fall Meeting, October 2010, Austin, Texas.